Is This The New Normal?

June 23, 2020
Get in Touch
A man in glasses is holding up sticky notes in front of a glass wall.

If you follow us on social media or get our newsletter, you’ll no doubt have seen us talking about our recent survey of tech professionals. It’s all part of our ongoing efforts to understand the local IT market in greater depth and to hear what our clients and the local tech community are saying. Only by really understanding the feelings of the local community can we better serve both candidates and clients.

The Detail

We actually compiled two surveys – one aimed at hiring managers, CTOs and other Enso clients and the other aimed more at IT professionals in our network or who we have worked with over the last few years.

The Results

The surveys give a snapshot of the experiences and expectations of IT professionals in Northern Ireland as the industry prepares for the easing of lockdown. As we crunched the numbers and interpreted the results we were genuinely surprised at the strength of feeling out there.

Some of the key findings of the report are:

  • 80% of NI Tech employers are cautiously or very optimistic about the industry’s ability to recover from the crisis
  • With the widespread adoption of ‘work from home’ in the tech sector, 94% of IT Professionals now want remote working to remain at least a part of their role on a permanent basis
  • 75% of IT employers, now accustomed to remote working, are happy to recruit remote workers from across NI, UK and Ireland or even further afield to fill positions which had previously been locally office based
  • 88% of local IT professionals would now apply for remote working positions from companies based outside NI.

The Analysis

Now, it is fair to say that these results are very timely and perhaps in the months’ ahead as lockdown eases and people remember the positive social aspects of shared offices, that these opinions will change. But the COVID-19 crisis could potentially be the biggest disruptor to work culture since the dawn of the internet age. With so many of you having a taste of remote and / or flexible working and enjoying it, it will be difficult to put the genie back in the bottle.

The good news is that 75% of employers here are more open to remote working but the remaining 25% who wish to remain largely office based might find it more difficult to recruit when such an overwhelming majority are clamouring for greater flexibility.

The Rest

Other findings in the report include the percentage of professionals negatively affected by the crisis through pay reduction, non-payment of bonuses or redundancies; the percentage of local employers who still expect to hire new staff this year and the effect the crisis has had on professionals' likelihood to move positions post-lockdown.

Get Your Copy

Sign up using the form below and a copy of the full report will be sent immediately to your inbox and you'll be added to our mailing list for future updates and to take part in our next survey.

© Copyright 2021 ENSO Recruitment. All rights reserved.
VAT Registration No. 244 2502 37 Level Up Resourcing Limited Registered Northern Ireland No. 636121 Registered Office: Dax House, 22 Howard Street, Belfast, BT1 6PA.
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram