Here at Enso Recruitment we don’t give out “CV’s tips” we give out “CV hacks.” There’s no difference between the two really, but the word hack is very zeitgeisty at the moment so “hack” it is! These tips (I mean hacks!) are tailored specifically for anyone in the IT Sector in NI who is considering a career move.
At Enso Recruitment, our team has helped thousands of IT professionals in Northern Ireland to develop their careers, so we know a thing or two about how to put together a great CV. We are always on hand to help out so for further CV advice, reach out to our team and we will be happy to assist you.
So, without further ado, let’s get our CV hack on…
- Key words are key: Bot’s are increasingly used to find suitable CV’s. Bot’s only search for key words and phrases so if you don’t mention programming languages, tools, methodologies and qualifications, you aren’t going to be found.
- The Matrix: Employers skim read CV’s so to ensure you are chosen as “The One” make sure you include a skills matrix at the beginning of your CV to provide a snapshot of your skills.
- Bullet all the things!: Big blocks of text don’t work on CV’s. Format your professional experience into bullet points and keep the word count down as much as you can.
- Time is relative: As a general rule of thumb, the more recent your experience, the more relevant it is. Apportion word count accordingly.
- Time is linear: Have your most recent experience at the front not the other way around (sounds obvious… but you’d be surprised!)
- Look’s are everything: Try your best to keep your CV looking clean and simple. Choose nice font (Calibri), space everything out, don’t over format with text boxes and let the whole thing breath!
- Hobbies and interests: Use this section to display your passion for your job area. Show that you take initiative to learn new IT skills outside of your 9-5 role because employers really value passion.
- Two page or not two page?: That is the question. You don’t have to keep your CV to two pages but that’s not a licence to bloat out to 10 pages either!
- Be Bold! In technical roles having the right technical skills will get you through to interview stage so make sure they stand out by “Ctrl+B-ing” your key tech skills throughout your CV.
- Bespoke fitting: for a fast and efficient way to tailor your CV to every role you apply for, simply tailor your opening statement at the beginning of your CV to reflect why you are interested in the role.
The final “hack” we can offer is to reach out Enso Recruitment and not only can we help you to create a great CV, we can help you to find a great job too!
To find out more about how Enso Recruitment can help you to grow your career, reach out to our team at the following contact details:
Tel: +44 (0) 2890993445